This programme is designed and delivered to strengthen and promote effective leadership practice for senior police officers. Participants learn to think differently and acquire the relevant skills to contribute to the overall health of their organizations.
The Police Leadership Programme (PLP) is a collaboration between the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP) and the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management.
This unique, three-week intensive experience focuses on the key facets of leadership and provides participants with the opportunity to challenge themselves in a dynamic learning environment. The programme is facilitated by Rotman faculty who are at the forefront of thought leadership and practice. In addition, participants are exposed to prominent guest speakers from law enforcement and the corporate world. The programme is anchored around relevant content and activities such as the in-class projects which are designed to address real time policing issues. The programme also features many opportunities for networking, engagement with faculty and other experts in the field of policing.
The PLP is designed and delivered to strengthen and promote effective leadership practice of senior police officers. The competencies addressed by the programme ensure that participants are equipped with the necessary skills and tools to think differently, make better decisions, be better negotiators, communicate more effectively, act with integrity and political astuteness, understand the implications of financial decisions, manage and lead change and contribute to the overall health of the organization.
During the programme participants will have the opportunity to:
• Engage with industry experts (both from policing and the business community) and Rotman faculty
• Network with peers from numerous police services
• Be exposed to the latest thinking in leadership practice
• Integrate and apply learning and concepts to real time projects
• Hone and harness leadership competencies to promote organizational and personal effectiveness
Who Should Attend
The programme is designed for senior, experienced police officers:
• Who seek to advance to the executive levels of police command and management;
• With 10 years of experience as a sworn police officer, with a record of high achievement;
• With demonstrated potential and ambition to move into a command position; and
• Who can receive sponsorship and support from the appropriate nominating officer.
Past participants include municipal and community police services from across Ontario, as well as professionals from the Ontario Provincial Police, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Canadian Forces Military Police.A discrete number of qualified civilian police managers are accepted for class participation. Participants are nominated by their Chief or Commissioner and sponsored by their department.
The programme is constantly reviewed and refreshed through input from the PLP Steering Committee made up of faculty, members of the OACP and several Chiefs of Police.The programme is delivered using appropriate adult learning strategies, such as peer-based learning, simulations, role-playing, team assignments, project-based learning and in-class instruction.
To learn more about the programme visit http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/ProfessionalDevelopment/Executive-Programs/Programs-Individuals/Police-Leadership